Thursday, February 7, 2008

Suzi
























This is Suzi, my sister. This post is about her. I'm thinking about her today. She's wearing the Colinette sweater I made for her summer 2006, from yarns in my stash. Suzi never could knit. Her right arm was paralyzed from polio right after she was born in 1952. She could crochet, however, because I taught her when she was about 12 and I was 15.

















These two purses are crocheted. I did the smaller green one. Suzi did the bigger orange one. She wanted to do a felted bag. Hmmm ok maybe I can look at my Knit book on Felted Purses and just translate the directions. So the green one was the guinea pig. We used Nashua yarns, two strands and some fun fur. Mine has a button flap closure. Suzi didn't want that because she would not be able to operate it. Actually hers works better because mine felted so small it is hard to get into the purse. Hers is fabulous and pretty big at about 8 in hi and 11 in wide. The handles on hers are crocheted like an I-cord and we stuffed plastic tubing in before felting. It worked just great.

When I was pregnant with my son, 36 years ago, Suzi decided she would crochet a baby blanket for him. Ha, she got so carried away. The thing was white and a variegated white/pink/green yarn. It was big enough to cover a twin bed. It was fabulous. She made another one nearly as big for my son's first child 6 years ago when they were expecting. It was done in tans and cremes. I'm pretty sure Lily didn't get much use out of it. Johnny took one look and put himself under it on the couch.























Here is the earliest picture I have of Suzi. Her right arm is just down, but not small yet. She's about a year old and cute as a bug. She never crawled. She just rocked back on her bottom, bent her knees, got her feet flat and rocket up onto her feet to stand. It was stunning.


Here are two more pictures. Suzi's high school graduation and one that had both of us in it. I think I was about 10 and she was 7.

No comments: